Princeton Online – a valuable resource serving the Princeton, NJ area communities – asked Sue to write an article for their online Summer Camp section. To read the article click here. In it Sue explores the value of a resident summer camp for all of us – as parents and as campers. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!
Archive for February, 2008
- Have you ever gargled the Star Spangled Banner at a Camp Fire?
- Have you ever tried to whistle with saltines in your mouth?
- Have you ever served GORP at a fine dinner party/overnight?
- When was the last time that you stood in front of 200 people and read your "Belief Statement" or your favorite poem or sang your favorite song, knowing that you were supported, appreciated and respected?
- When was the last time that you giggled with your best friend, under the stars in your sleeping bag?
- When did you feel that your summer camp experience really was one of the most significant contributors to your self-confidence and self-image?
- When were you ever hired ‘without experience’ because people believed in you and your abilities and would ‘train’ you to have experience?
- When did achievement mean that you made a child smile?
- When was the last time that you felt like one of the most important people in the entire world?
WE HOPE YOUR ANSWERS ARE – WHEN I WAS AT ALFORD LAKE CAMP!
Ahhhhh, it is so awesome - Just back from Yale to see ALC counselors and potential new counselors for the summer of 2008. It continues to be inspiring to connect with these incredible young adults and to stay current with them and what seems to be on the horizon for them.
Are there any of you past/present ALCers who are at a college or university where you think there are students who would benefit from and give unconditionally to the ALC Experience? Give us an invitation and we will arrive with our ‘Vaudeville Act’ in tow and see what we can do to intrigue others to consider ALC for a summer.
I LOVE ALC and our ALC FAMILY – we are passing the torch of enthusiasm and care as we incorporate new vivacious staff into our mix of solid and inspiring returning folks. GO US!!!!
Well, it was a small turnout, but an exciting one! We met at great pub in South Kensington – a wonderful London neighborhood. Stories of camp a long time ago blended with stories of camp from just last summer, and we were all left with smiles and a really warm feeling! Thanks so much to those that came, and for those that really, really wanted to come but couldn’t – you all are so FUN!!!!
Come meet Melissa Murphy, our newest year round staff person, at this pub in London on Monday, February 11th at 5:30pm. She’ll share with you the latest ALC DVD to show you a glimpse of what camp is like for girls now, share stories, memories, songs (maybe make a PODCAST??!!) and take fun photos!
Please email her directly if you can make it (to make sure we reserve enough space!), and spread the word to ANY ALCer you know in the UK – this is going to be fun!
Also, don’t forget, if you aren’t in London, you can still have fun visiting ALCers through our Gathering Photos. Our formal gathering schedule for the year is wrapped up, and many stories were shared and funny pics taken. Stay in touch and stay connected!