Hello ALC Families!! You have filled out your camper’s forms and made travel arrangements. So “all” that is left is packing! Deep breath… it is a lot!! I am preparing for summer #5 for my daughter and I am happy to share a few things I have learned in the annual process of preparing her for camp:
- Make a copy of the ALC the packing list and carry it with you… mark it off as you shop for items. Remember if you are ordering from MCO online that shipping takes time and you want to have everything at home, ready to pack by early June.
- Sew on those name tapes… okay, I have my local dry cleaner do it…but it is really important…. don’t think your child is going to be the only one with a red raincoat! Water bottles, flashlights, hairbrushes, etc. are best labeled with a black Sharpie.
- Buy stamps & print address labels of family and friends that your camper may wish to write to while she is at camp. The easier it is for them to write… the more likely it will be that you will get letters from your happy, busy camper!
- Send a couple pictures of family and friends with your daughter. Pack a couple push pins for her to tack these images up in her tent. It is how ALC campers decorate/personalize their spaces.
- When packing your child’s trunk: remember to roll socks & underwear and place them in rain-boots, hiking boots, etc. It really saves space! Place most of the bulky items in her day pack (allowed on the camp bus) such as footwear, flashlights, etc. and use the trunk for uniforms, towels, etc. I have used ‘space saver’ bags — the kind that you vacuum out the air — works like a charm!!
- Fun pajamas are awesome… lots of evening activities are in “evening attire,” meaning the campers and counselors wear their pajamas to watch plays, etc. Fun, fun, fun
- Remind family and friends that there is a no-exceptions NO PACKAGE policy… it will only make these special and kind people feel sad if they spend time and money to send treats only to have them returned, unopened.
- Share summer newsletters and photos with extended family through your Campminder account so they can stay connected too!!
- Don’t send too many extras… too many books, stuffed animals, sets of stationery, card games, etc. It will only make it overwhelming for your camper to keep her things organized.
- If you have ANY questions… call camp!! They can help you, give you advice and help you feel ready for the summer. The phone number is 207-799-3005
If you have any other questions about camp, post them here and I will do my best to give you the right answer, best advice or point you in the direction of those who can help!
Thanks and Happy Packing!
ALC Alum, Parent and Staff Member